Here is a little about the history of the village of Barwick in Elmet
The ancient village of Barwick in Elmet dates back to around 200-600 BC. The earthworks at Wendel Hill and Hall Tower Hill were probably built by the local tribe of Brigantes and coins have been found dating from the second century BC and first century AD which would suggest some continuity in the use of the earthworks up to the time when the Romans conquered the north of England.
There is a reference to an agricultural settlement in the Domesday Book which indicates a Norman presence in Barwick in Elmet and subsequently the Lordship of the Manor passed through marriage to the Duchy of Lancaster in the fourteenth century. From a number of taxation surveys, it is known that in 1379 there were 197 adults living in about 100 households.
After passing through several hands, the Manor ended in the ownership of the Gascoigne family in the seventeenth century and there are records indicating that in the following century there were around 240 families living in the parish. In 1720 there is the first mention of a school in Barwick in Elmet and by 1821 the parish had increased its population to 1,481 inhabitants.
The Crossgates to Wetherby railway opened in 1874, enabling residents to commute to Leeds and after the Great War more villagers started to travel there for work or school. A great number of Barwick in Elmet residents would walk every day to Scholes to take the train into Leeds or, as the start of World War II approached, began to take advantage of the new bus service which served the village.
Main Street, Barwick in Elmet 1907
Chapel Lane, viewed from All Saints Church Tower. Fields in the background are where the Village Hall now stands.
1920s also saw the introduction of water, electricity, gas, mains sewage and telephones to the village, but it wasn't until post war years that the village saw significant expansion. In the last 100 years the village has been transformed from a farming and mining village into a commuter settlement and place of retirement, although the parish still includes five working farms producing wheat, barley, oilseed rape and potatoes, with some rearing of poultry and cattle.