Here is a little about the history of the village of Scholes
Scholes derives its name from the Old Norse 'skali' which means 'the temporary huts and sheds'. Records from the 12th Century show that the monks from Kirkstall Abbey pastured their sheep at nearby Seacroft.
For most of its existence Scholes has been an agricultural community and today there are still three working farms. In Mediaeval times, the villagers cultivated the land in three open fields which formed part of the estate of the Lord of the Manor. Records from the 13th, 14th and15th centuries show that Scholes had a mill, a fishpond and a deer park. Excavations carried out in the stackyard and garden of Scholes Lodge Farm prior to its development, have revealed the footprint of a post-mediaeval farmhouse built on an earlier site, as well as finds dating from mediaeval and even earlier times.
In the 1870's Scholes developed significantly with the opening of the railway and brickworks. The first St. Philip's Church was built in 1875 (the present St Philip's was dedicated in November 1966 and the original church became the Parish Hall) and in 1879 the Methodist Chapel was opened. At the beginning of the 1870's the village stretched roughly from what is now the beginning of Wood Lane (or Brickyard Lane as it is sometimes known) along both sides of the road as far as Scholes Lodge Farm.
It was throughout the years of the next century that various phases of building took place which gave the village the shape it has today. The brickyard closed in the 1920's and the railway line was closed in 1964. Scholes Hall, a handsome red brick building of the 18th Century, was demolished in the 1970's. The site was incorporated with Scholes Hall Farm and some fields to the north to provide the land for the sheltered housing complex. The Scholes War Memorial pictured above, along with the twenty three Horse Chestnut and Lime Trees which line Station Road, are recognised as a National Memorial. They are listed in the United Kingdom National Inventory for War Memorials. The trees, which are protected by a preservation order, honour men from the village who died while serving in the armed services during the First and Second world wars.
Other improvements in Scholes during the 20th century include its village hall, playing fields, children's playground, library, shops, the school, the Manor House social centre, a doctors' surgery and a dentist.
The greatest asset the village has, however, is its people who have put their energy, talents and enterprise into starting clubs and organisations, many of which still exist today. More recently, the Scholes Community Care was started, a lifeline for so many in the village.